Colgate '73 50th Class Reunion
Reunion Update from Bill and Ron
May 13, 2023
Welcome to our updated 50th Reunion class website. We can’t believe our 50th Reunion is almost here!
Here are the latest updates:
- With just 17 days remaining until the first day of reunion, Thursday, June 1, we are thrilled to announce that our Class of 1973 has surpassed the previous 50th reunion registration record of 133 classmates set by the Class of 1969. Our class total now stands at 140 classmates and 80+ spouses, partners, and friends returning to campus for our golden anniversary reunion. To quote a Lionel Ritchie tune, “Oh, what a feeling, we’ll be dancing on the ceiling!”
- If you waited until the last minute to register, please call Jillian Cole in the Alumni Office at 315-228-7700 to sign up today. The final registration deadline is May 15. This is a reunion you’ll want to attend!
- Printed copies of our 50th Yearbook are in all your hands by now, and the reviews have been outstanding. Our apologies to Stu Mittleman, who had submitted his profile before the November 2022 deadline, for inadvertently omitting his profile. Read Stu’s life update, including his remarkable running accomplishments, here.
- If you missed last November’s deadline for submitting a personal bio for our 50th Reunion Yearbook, here is a final opportunity to share your bio and get it posted on this website for classmates to read before reunion. Please convey your bio electronically to email@example.com by May 25. There is a 400-word limit.
- Our class gift has reached nearly $4.5 million and that total is climbing rapidly. If you have not donated to our class gift yet, it is not too late, especially because there are two significant incentives to be supportive by reunion weekend:
- Ten class challengers will match your gift or pledge, dollar for dollar, doubling your gift’s value.
- If our Class of ’73 can reach 73% class-donor participation, those same class challengers will give Colgate a combined $173,000 extra bonus gift. We stand at over 64% participation today (220 class donors so far). We need 31 more class donors to get that extraordinary bonus. Interested in being counted? Go to colgate.edu/makeagift or contact Jen Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please help us move the needle at this 11th hour. This is an urgent plea to those who have not yet given. Gifts of $13, $73, $173, or frankly any amount, get us one donor closer to 73% class participation and that HUGE bonus gift.
- Whether you are driving or flying to our reunion, enjoy some musical entertainment along the way. Our class music guru/curator, Keith Sinusas, has put together a music retrospective playlist of the tunes of our time at Colgate. Download the playlist found in the music section of our class website and sing along to the tunes as you find your way to Colgate for our reunion.
- Curious where to go to check in at reunion and get your housing assignment? Start at the Student Union where you will be greeted with a traditional Colgate “Hello”, issued your name tag, directed to your room, and offered a printed reunion weekend schedule.
- Speaking of that schedule, here are some Reunion Weekend event highlights (but be sure to review the entire schedule to see every available opportunity, times and locations):
- Thursday afternoon: Golf at Seven Oaks, followed by a President’s Circle reception, during which all early bird classmates will be honored guests.
- Friday morning and afternoon: More golf in a morning shotgun at Seven Oaks; a full lineup of Reunion College events; a panel discussion organized by our class on the state of the media today; a faculty panel featuring all-stars from our era; and a class panel on the music of our times at Colgate led by Keith Sinusas.
- Friday evening: President Brian Casey will host our class for a reception and dinner at his home above the Coop. That will be followed by the Torchlight Ceremony led by our Class of ’73; then music in our tent featuring classmate Frank Meyer’s Trio and guest appearances from talented class musicians.
- Saturday morning: A Memorial Service for our deceased classmates, followed by our class photo on the Quad; a State-of-the-College presentation by President Casey; the reprise of the famous Honcho rocket launch; the Colgate Awards Ceremony that honors Fausto Miraglia; and more. The festivities are all topped off by our 50th Reunion cocktails and dinner in the Class of ’65 Arena and a new and inspiring class reunion video from the incomparable Pete Stassa, our longtime class videographer.
- Throughout the weekend, there will be plenty of time to roam the campus, visit the village of Hamilton, and connect with classmates and friends. You can set your own reunion pace and focus as you choose.
The theme of our 50th Reunion Yearbook is “Come together”, borrowed conceptually from the famous Beatles tune. We are quite excited that so many classmates and others are indeed “coming together” in the Chenango Valley for this rare milestone in our lives.
We look forward to greeting you and offering our own genuine Colgate “Hello”.
Ron Joyce, 50th Reunion Chair
Bill Barnaskas, 50th Reunion Webmaster
It’s Been Too Long
Enjoy this video that Pete Stassa prepared to accompany a beautiful song written and performed by Steve Worthy.
It is sure to evoke memories of our days together.
We hope you can share your memories in person with us at our 50th Reunion this June.
We’ll see you soon!
Or call Colgate Alumni Relations Office at 315-228-7700
Tune in monthly to catch the latest playlist curated by our own Keith Sinusas.
Each month Keith will drop a new playlist with a different theme and a podcast that discusses the music on that month’s playlist.
This Month's Podcast:
For the playlists and instructions on how to listen to them, visit the Playlist page.
In Our Own Words
Our Colgate Memories and Reflections
(included in entries for our 50th Reunion Yearbook)
Visit the Photos page to view the full photo gallery and the Videos Page to view classic Pete Stassa videos.
Got photos to share?
Upload them on the photo submission page.
Our Reunion Volunteers
Ron Joyce (Committee Chair)
Bill Barnaskas (Webmaster)
Mike Barnes (Reunion Attendance)
Andrea Brown (Program)
Roger A. Ferlo (Yearbook Editor)
Jim Geiger (Reunion Attendance)
Marc Gettis (Class News Editor)
Susan V. Mahoney (Program)
Eleanor McNees (Yearbook)
Fausto V. Miraglia (Gift Committee Co-Chair)
Paul Raeder (Planned Giving)
Howard Schiffman (Gift Committee)
Tom Seligson (Gift Committee Co-Chair)
Keith Sinusas (Music)
Kevin Sio (Social Media)
Jim Sowers (Program Chair)
Pete Stassa (Video)
Michael Walsh (At large)
Patrick White (Reunion Attendance)
Steve Worthy (Yearbook)
Golf Tournament Organizer: